Posted on 09-25-2017
Importance of Senior Pet Care From Your Sarasota and Parrish Veterinarian
What's sweeter than an old animal enjoying its golden years? At Dr. Nina's Animal Hospital of Sarasota and Parrish, FL, our vet staff loves our aging pets as much as you do. That's why we want every pet owner to understand just how important senior pet care is for the four-legged "old souls" in our lives.
3 Reasons Why You Should Care About Senior Pet Care
- The age at which your pet becomes a "senior" may be different than other pets (since factors like breed, environment, and genetics play a role). So speaking with a vet who understands aging animals can help you identify when your cat or dog has reached its golden years.
- Senior animals have different health needs than younger pets, plus their needs can change quickly as age-related diseases and illnesses come on.
- Prevention and early detection of age-related animal illnesses can minimize financial and emotional costs for you, let alone improve the quality of life of your older pet.
Top Tips for Caring for an Aging Pet in Your Home
- Visit your vet regularly.
- Follow your vet's recommendations for the type and amount of food your pet needs.
- Make sure you are giving your animal any medications as prescribed and directed.
- Provide sufficient exercise that is appropriate for your pet's physical state and ability.
- Consider adding soft bedding, ramps, and rugs or carpets to make it easier for your older pet to get around.
Senior Pet Care Services Offered by Our Veterinarian in Sarasota & Parrish
Dr. Janina Krajewski has been a veterinarian in Sarasota and Parrish, FL for 10 years. She along with the rest of our team have a true compassion for animals of all breeds and ages, but senior pets have a special place in our hearts. That's why we're proud to offer a range of senior pet care services, including:
- Senior pet wellness exams, including body condition assessments
- Preventive care, including nutritional supplements (such as omega-3 fatty acids) to support healthy joints, bones, and organs
- Medications and treatments to alleviate pain and other symptoms of age-related illnesses
Schedule an Appointment with Your Sarasota and Parrish Veterinarian
Do you have an aging pet in your family? Contact Dr. Nina's Animal Hospital today at (941) 366-1222 to schedule a senior pet wellness exam and learn more about how you can maximize your older animal's quality of life.